Salmon and sea trout fishing in Ireland
- River Feale Angling Guide (9.19 MB)
- River Suir Angling Guide (2.94 MB)
- Lough Conn & Lough Cullin Game Angling Guide (2.38 MB)
- County Sligo Game Angling Guide (4.33 MB)
- County Mayo Game Angling Guide (5.39 MB)
- Ballina Salmon Capital - River Moy Map and Guide (1.56 MB)
- Sea Trout Angling on Ireland’s North West Coast (4.36 MB)
- The Boyne Valley Fishery [Part 2] - Fishing for Wild Brown Trout, Salmon and Sea trout (1.47 MB)
- A Guide to Protecting Freshwater Fish Stocks from the parasite Gyrodactylus salaris (238.48 kB)
- Salmon and sea trout angling in Ireland
If you’ve ever dreamt about catching a salmon or sea trout in Ireland and wondered how to turn your dream into reality then the answer is at your finger tips.
Start planning your trip now with this easy to use guide providing information on where to go and who to contact to help you get the most out of your visit.
With a huge network of rivers and loughs, Ireland is the one of the few last refuges for wild salmon and sea trout attracting anglers back year after year.
This useful guide provides information on the variety of waters Ireland has to offer, the best times to fish and suggested methods to help in the pursuit of this noble quarry.
Salmon and sea trout anglers can use a wide range of methods including, bait, spinning and fly fishing to pursue their quarry.
On rivers, the fishing is normally divided into beats managed by Inland Fisheries Ireland, private fisheries or local angling clubs.
When tackling loughs, boat fishing is generally more productive than bank fishing as it allows more ground to be covered. Game angling guides, fishing are a good source of information on local services.
When to go
Salmon fishing opens on January 1 on a handful of rivers and after that the remainder of rivers open on various dates in February, March, April and May. The majority of rivers close on September 30th but some rivers remain open for sea trout fishing to October 12. To see the opening and closing dates for individual rivers please follow the links below.
Principal Irish salmon rivers and fisheries
East & South East
South west & Shannon
West - Galway
West - Ballina
Next: Salmon fishing in Ireland »